Painting Trollblood advice - color scheme

Painting Trollblood advice - color scheme

Postby Flaim » Thu May 20, 2010 9:02 am

Hey all. I'm a little stuck and want some advice on my Trollbloods.

I currently have an orange/red troll, a green troll, and a blue/grey troll sitting on my painting desk.

I'm not sure that I like any of them, to be honest.

Has anyone thought about a color scheme for Trollbloods or seen any good schemes online that they would like to post a link to? I'm wanting something that isn't exactly the same color as the standard blue that PP paints them, but I am not adverse to a blue color. The base of the miniature is going to be grey/blue rock with darkish green grass/flock. I am thinking for the tartans a dark navy/midnight blue with red, orange and yellows. Spikes, rock protrusions and hair will be colored based on the model (Slag Troll will have metallic protrusions, Pyre, "flame" colored, Winter white and blue...).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Heath / Flaim
The general Troll tactic is to take your axe and put it in the other guy's mouth, beyond that it's a matter of whether or not that axe will be on fire.
Flaim

Re: Painting Trollblood advice - color scheme

Postby nezeray » Thu May 20, 2010 9:19 am

Can you do a quick MS Paint pattern of the tartan design that you have in mind and put up some pictures of your current trolls? I think the skin color and tartans are the main things that you'll have to match. Maybe a demo base would help also.

With my Tharn I've been having the same issue, I don't want pasty wolf doods wearing random dirty rags. See enough of that at the RenFaires. (I do fit that bill to so STFU) :twisted:

James / Nezeray
Back on the prowl. >:)
nezeray
Adopter of Magical Horses

Postby nezeray » Thu May 20, 2010 10:08 am

Also, I'm assuming that you've already did an image search on google for trollbloods with alternate paint schemes. :)

James / Nezeray
nezeray

Postby Galen » Thu May 20, 2010 10:54 am

I used GW Regal Blue as the main skin tone for my (now sold) Trollblood army.
Galen
Has 5 Million Posts. Wins at Internet.

Postby Flaim » Thu May 20, 2010 11:05 am

I don't have a patter yet, but I figure it will be pretty simple due to the size of the miniature and my painting skill.

I DID find this neat color wheel/color scheme web page that I think might help:

Color Scheme

The Blue and Green match the main colors I wanted to do for the tartan. I guess that means their suggestion for the third color would be orange. I'm still not sure if orange is the way to go for the trolls, but I may stick with it for a while.

I was also contemplating yet another base change for them and make them "swamp" trolls with water effects for the bases. I've not tried anything like that before and I think the idea is neat. I'm not sure that orange skin would work very well in that case?

Edit for Tartan:
This is a lot like what I wanted to do, just replace the white line with an orange:
The general Troll tactic is to take your axe and put it in the other guy's mouth, beyond that it's a matter of whether or not that axe will be on fire.
Flaim

Postby nezeray » Thu May 20, 2010 11:37 am

nezeray

Postby Flaim » Thu May 20, 2010 12:01 pm

So far, these have been the most inspiring to me:

Back a few years ago when Trollbloods came out, I thought about doing orange. These guys are a little ore red than I would want, but I certainly like them.
Flaim

Postby and Riot! » Thu May 20, 2010 1:00 pm

I was once told that my Trollblood army was "a smorgasbord of color schemes". So, um, knock yourself out.

Psychedelic Trolls.
Destro!
Destro!
Destro and the Baroness
are practicing their clarinets.
and Riot!

Postby fish » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:33 pm

necroing, but burns.. your painting looks like ass.. never show it off again.

you need like, a kid or 3 to take up all this excess free time you appear to have. :D

I rather like the Bouncer's colors.
fish

Return to Painting, Sculpting and Conversions